Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Obstacles

Any challenge has its obstacles. Even before starting the challenge I had my obstacles. Not only am I missing bones and functioning muscles in my feet and ankles, but I deal with insomnia and chronic headaches. Before starting the program I decided that I'd be my most efficient and best if I only did the running on days that followed a good night sleep and didn't wake up with a headache. However, those days never exist.

So, I decided that regardless of sleep quality or headache status I would run anyway.

Every time I wake up in the morning, I'm exhausted with a pounding headache. Sometimes I run to the beat of my pounding head.

And I feel tough. I grit my teeth and get through it even with those obstacles.

Other obstacles that I've faced so far:

Time: Finding time to get a run in. I've found that I enjoy running first thing in the morning (when I haven't had an entire day to talk myself out of running). But with kids, sometimes it's hard to get a run in when they're up and at 'em, asking for breakfast. Sometimes they have to wait.

Natural Elements: In AZ, I run on the treadmill. In PA, I run through the woods - which I love. But tripping on pinecones and stumbling over sticks has its drawbacks. So does the weather. The other day I ran in 39 degree weather. I saw my breath! Today it was 67 and HUMID. It's interesting how I have to adjust myself to take in the change of temperature. Not only that, but I have to watch out for wildlife - bears, deer, and today I smelled a skunk.

The Treadmill: I hate running on my treadmill. It sucks the life out of me. I can easily WALK 2 miles in 35 minutes. But, get me on a treadmill and with intervals of RUNNING I can go about 1.6 miles in 35 minutes. When I'm running outside, I don't need any technology - no music, no video, nuthin'. I'm happy with my own thoughts. Get me on the treadmill and I need to be watching something to distract me from the hell I'm putting myself through. So, yeah, my treadmill is an obstacle as is the dwindling selection of DVDs I have to watch while running on the stupid thing. I need a better selection. Reruns of Charmed just ain't cutting it.

I'm on week 4! Running intervals of 5 minutes with 2 minute walks - 4 sets. I'm doing it! I don't think ever in my life have I been able to run more than 2 minutes at a time. I'm proud of myself.

2 comments:

  1. Way to go! I need your inspiration. That is a tough on to get up and run even when your sleep is no good. Sorry about the headaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You should be proud of yourself! Awesome job, Roccy! Don't you feel empowered?

    ReplyDelete