Sunday, April 3, 2011

Music!

I haven't been running to music. I wanted the music of nature to fill my soul with delight and determination as I battled the pavement each day. Bahahahaha! Does the blaring of car horns and too much bass count as nature? Yeah, not really. Not only that, but being left alone with my thoughts probably isn't the best thing.

Plus, in Run Like A Mother, they covered a section about the pros of running to music. Thought I'd give it a try.

So, for the past few days I listened religiously to the 80's and 90's channels and compiled a play list of songs I'd like to run to. Here it is in all its glory.

Somethin' To Believe In - Poison
Wide Open Spaces - Dixie Chicks
Independence Day - Martina McBride
Hurt - Johnny Cash
Walk the Line - Johnny Cash
500 Miles - The Proclaimers
Against All Odds - Phil Collins
Follow Me - Uncle Kracker
I Hope You Dance - Lee Ann Womack
Smooth Criminal - Michael Jackson
Take Me Home (Country Roads) - John Denver

I have another 50 songs I'd like to add (Guns N Roses, baby!), but for now this is a good start.

Last night I ran for the first time with my play list and HOLY COW! So much fun. And I pushed myself more than I would have. I'd say things like, "I won't stop until the end of the song" or "I can do one more song!" And every once in a while I'd sing out loud (really it was just huffing and puffing to a beat, but if you listened closely I was really singing, I swear). There are songs in there that soothe me, inspire me, motivate me and just plain make me feel good.

I'm hooked.

No comments:

Post a Comment