Tuesday, April 12, 2011

The Best Time to Run

I honestly love the idea of running first thing in the morning. Here's why:

1. Getting out the door when the rest of the world is just waking up
2. Accomplishing something at the start of day
3. Doesn't interfere with family time since they're still sleeping
4. Getting it done right away so that you don't spend the rest of the day talking yourself out of it
5. It's cooler

However, I've come across a few really big cons to running first thing in the morning.

1. I worry that I'll wake someone up in the morning while I'm getting ready and that makes me anxious.
2. My mind seems occupied with all I have to accomplish that day.
3. I have absolutely zero energy causing me much frustration at my lack of progress
4. This is the biggest con for me: my blood sugar is super wonky in the morning. Sometimes I'll be fine, other times I'll have the shakes, dizziness and nausea that I'll have to forgo the run. Typically when I run in the morning, the first thing I do when I get up is grab a piece of cheese and some juice to munch on while I'm getting ready. But I don't have the time to wait for the juice to kick in to get my blood sugar back up.

Last week I decided to try an evening run. I've held off on running in the evening because, well, it's darker outside. But I loved it! Why I loved it:

1. The day is over, no chores or errands hanging over my head. A great time to unwind.
2. I have energy. Usually I'll have eaten an hour or so before hand giving me an extra boost (and no blood sugar issues).
3. It's darker. Yes, this could be a pro or con. But I honestly like the anonymity it gives me.
4. Darker=cooler. Important in Arizona!
5. The kids and husband are usually unwinding as well. Chores and homework are all done. Dinner has been eaten. Everyone is just chilling and I don't feel like I'm taking away from or missing anything that's going on.

And the cons:

1. It's darker outside. I try to go before it really gets dark but if that doesn't happen I'll just stay close to home, making the running not as fun.
2. BIGGEST con to date: The smell of everyone's dinner cooking. Neighbor BBQ-ing, neighbor's spaghetti, etc. And it makes me want to puke. I just don't want to get a whiff of that stuff while I'm running. It literally turns my stomach. (On the other hand, my neighbor has a beautiful rose bush that I often pass - heavenly!)

2 comments:

  1. The best time to run for me is never.

    How 'bout that??

    ReplyDelete
  2. mad white woman is funny. I would love to get back into running. I used to do it all the time when Adelaide was little, but I'm to big to run now (it would hurt for all that fat to jiggle:)

    I love running outdoors. My biggest con is I'm always super paranoid that some scary man or stray dog are going to get me. Maybe if I buy some pepper spray I won't be as scared.

    ReplyDelete