Saturday, August 28, 2010

The Good Mile


“Running is one of the best solutions to a clear mind.” ~Sasha Azevedo

This quote is so true. How I enjoy my half an hour of thinking! The first three minutes are pretty negative - I typically think about how much running stinks and how after the three minutes is up I'm going to stop. But I never do. Instead I realize that I made it through those horrible three minutes and can't I do at least 6 more minutes? Of course! Once I get into the groove of running, of breathing, of letting go of the discomfort that comes with running, I am able to really think.

Most of the time I write stories in my head. Sometimes I write blog posts or emails. I'll think of a topic and then write essays about it in my head. I often think about my day ahead of me. I pass a small horse farm on my runs and that usually gets me thinking about horses and how I want one, how I really should get back into horseback riding. I think about my surroundings - the birds, the rabbits in the desert, the fire ant that's biting the back of my leg!

But, it all comes down to having a few moments to myself to actually think. Running may be difficult but for me it's worth it to have this 1/2 hour to myself which also translates into a day of clear-headedness.

*picture from artandperception.com

1 comment:

  1. Amen, to that. During this month's goal it's made me get out -often with both the kids. We trek along in relative silence, enjoying the puffs of somewhat cool breeze if we're up early enough, witnessing nature, the cloud formations, the sun rise higher in the sky.

    I often feel bad, like I should be using this time with my kids to teach them counting or the alphabet or something constructive, but I'm too busy thinking. I'd love to hear/read some of your make-believe essays. I "blog" too in my head. It's pretty funny, but it's just the same as if we were writers and using the time to process and create the next portion of our book or story. Hm... that's give me an idea. A short story or novella written from running. Hey, you were asking for ideas about a cheap hobby. Done, girl!

    Hugs to you, Roccy, and major high fives!

    ReplyDelete