Monday, August 23, 2010

“By losing your goal, you have lost your way.” ~Khalil Gibran



A friend of mine (we'll call her Kelly), just announced her "100 Miles A Month" goal. As I read her blog about this awesome inspiring goal, I contemplated my own running goals. And I realized I didn't have any anymore! I can run a mile. Now what? Do I really want to either work on speed or distance at this point? Do I love running that much?

Actually I don't like running while I'm running, but do feel pretty dang good after I've completed a run (I am using the term "run" loosely, please don't rain on my parade and remind me that I'm merely shuffling. Thanks). I would like to get to the point where I enjoy running. And truth be told, I do enjoy the thinking time running allows me.

Last night as I prepared to go to bed I told my husband that if I got up early enough I'd be heading out for a run. And secretly I hoped I wouldn't wake up early enough. Since sleep is such a rare commodity for me I have decided that I won't force myself to get up any earlier than absolutely necessary. However, if I wake up naturally early enough to get a run in, then I'd take advantage of my sleep disorders.

As it happened, I woke up at 5:40 am. Plenty of time to get a run in. I donned my shoes and my watch, stretched, and headed out the door. It was hot . . . at 5:40 in the morning. I ran from my house to the first traffic light just south of here. That is exactly a mile. It was a rough mile. Toward the end I was pretty sure I was going to pass out. I came fairly close to puking as well. But seeing that traffic light and keeping my eye on the prize kept me going. I did it in 12 minutes. Then I turned around and walked back. It took me the entire walk back to not feel like passing out and puking.

I felt pretty proud of my run, proud that I ran a mile, and proud that I actually ran OUTSIDE in Arizona for the whole world to see (and really, I was so focused on not throwing up and passing out that I had not a moment to feel self-conscious about my shuffling and all my friends and neighbors that were surely laughing at me nor did I think about all the crazies out to get me).

Then I started thinking about it and realized that I only ran 12 minutes today! That's pathetic! What happened to me running 30 minutes at a time? I did my mile and then just stopped (I am glad I stopped - I really think I was close to passing out).

So, my new goal is to run 30 minutes straight. AND, I'd like to do this outside. I'm hatin' on the treadmill. This means I have to find the time in the early early morning or in the evening, when the sun isn't so crazy hot, so that I can run. This will be a challenge.

How I'm going to accomplish this: The second post in this blog lays out a running program that I had been following in order to run the mile.** But once I hit the mile, I kind of stopped moving forward with the program. I will be using this program to reach my next goal of running 30 minutes straight. I've already done this once or twice, but I really want to get it under my belt this time. It's a small step backwards, but necessary.

* image from http://www.focusaction.com/YourConnection/cardiovascularExercise.html

**Thank you Simon for making the plan for me and for being such a great supporter in my running endeavors.

2 comments:

  1. What a great insight you had. The quote is perfect. This can apply to so many areas of our lives. I'm proud of you Roccy. You're inspiring me to want to do better.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You CAN do it! You've conquered before, you continue to do so, and you will as long as you want to. Super high five -like 5 stories high, high five!

    ReplyDelete