Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Fear of Failure

This is a big one for me. You'd think after failing at stuff a lot that it would be second nature and I wouldn't worry about it so. But I do. I'm back in Arizona now and I'm trying to figure out my running schedule. And it scares me a little. I'd prefer running outside, but that would require me getting up very very early which is often difficult to do after tossing and turning all night. Also, running outside here does not offer me the privacy that running in Pennsylvania did. I'd be running on a sidewalk adjacent to a busy road - a road that I cannot walk down without seeing at least 3 people I know drive by (and they usually wave at me). I want to shuffle in private. Plus, I don't want people calling an ambulance when they see me huffing and puffing and tripping all over the place (it's called running, people!). And then I'm afraid that I won't be able to match my progress that I attained in Pennsylvania.

Or . . .

There's the Dreadmill. The positive side of this is that I can do it in the privacy of my own home on my own time. That's the only pro, as far as I can tell. Like I said in an earlier post, I can WALK 2 miles in 35 minutes. Put me on the Dreadmill and I can run/jog 1.6 miles in 35 minutes. It literally sucks the life out of me. I dread the treadmill.

Both of these avenues share something in common: either way I look at it I'm afraid of failure, afraid of taking some big giant steps backward. I know I can run a mile - but can I run a mile here? Will the heat be too much? Will I be too self-conscious to run outside? Will the dreadmill finally kill me?

3 comments:

  1. Just a thought: you know how they have that indoor track-thingy at the Multigenerational center? That would at least be climate-controlled. Still not private, but maybe NOT being in ward boundaries will eliminate a little bit of the honking and waving? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good idea Amy!

    Roccy, unfortunately I can relate to the fear of failure thing. And not wanting to exercise in public. You could always go to Red Mountain Park. That's where I used to walk (no running for me ma'am) and it's prettier than going around the block. I never once ran into anyone I knew either.

    Plus they have ducks.

    And rabbits. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wouldn't worry about people seeing you run. After all they are passing you in their cars, how can they judge you. Least you are out doing something.

    I have had a few comments shouted at me while running, but I mainly just ignore them, only replied once. It was a morbidly obese women insulting me for running. I had no idea how she dare!!

    ReplyDelete